Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DIY Window Cornice, Quick And Easy

Good morning, I wanted to take a minute to write about window cornices. I decided to make one for my daughters room since she has a day bed going directly under the window and curtains are not an option. I want a look that's nice but a fabric that is a bit different and on the modern side. Total assembly for me was about a half hour once I had all my supplies. I haven't assembled it to the window yet so I don't have the finished product but I have some pictures of the fabric and the process and I must admit that I  LOVE IT!


Here is the start of me wrapping the wood with a thick felt for padding and then the fabric stapling along the edges.



Here are all three pieces put together in what will be a box above the window.



Here is the fabric that I chose from Joanne's, but I waited for it to go on sale for 50% off! I'm smooth like that.I tried to find it elsewhere but it was really hard to come by and almost sold out on me.

I will show you a step by step tutorial and the finished results once I have them, but in the mean time here are some inspirational rooms that have a cornice so that you can get a better idea.







As you can, see they can really make a room. Please share your cornice with me if you've done one or use this as your inspiration~

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I love your blog! You're so talented when it comes to DIY-ing! I feel like I just read all of your posts over the past hour! It's lovely!

    Check out my blog and follow if you like... I promise to do the same!

    Katie
    LolaInspired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made cornice boards for our previous home to hide the blackout roller shades in our bedroom. This little detail made all the difference. Easy and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie, I have taken on quite a few projects and still have a mile long list to go. Funny enough though, I enjoy doing them because I get exactly what I want! Win and Win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, I agree. I will use mine to cover the top of the blinds, but also just to add a little detail. Can't wait to post the actual finished results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this page so much but I'm looking for window cornice designs. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete