Monday, February 25, 2013

New Project, A Global Affair

Good morning,

I want to thank you all for your support, comments and prayers for my brother. I know that they helped. Since I posted about him things have changed in a positive direction and he seems to be doing better and better by the day. I'm praying that this continues and that you will only hear positive things from me in the future.


Today I want to talk about a new and exciting project that I am in the beginning stages of. This project is for a bachelor client of mine who spends a large amount of time traveling, and wants this to be reflected in his home with the exception of the two rooms I am putting together for his adorable little girls. Recently I talked about Design Camp in Atlanta and how exciting that was. There were so many industry "experts" and topics, not to mention a wealth of information on the design industry, trends, and how to propel your business to the next level. One of the upcoming design trends is in fact this "global" or "exotica" approach to interiors which is exactly the feeling that my client wants.

I have an admittedly modern or contemporary approach to my spaces so for me this is something new and different and I'm loving every minute of it. The first thing to understand with this global vibe is what exactly defines it as global in the first place. I think it's important to know that it DOES NOT mean that you simply add a Buddha here, a bird cage there and some suzani print and call it a day. This aesthetic is more the feeling of a well lived in and well traveled home. This is achieved with the juxtaposition of old vs. new, modern vs. antique shiny vs. rustic. The energy in the home should flow well with the balance of the pieces you are adding. Even in my modern spaces, there is a coziness to them that keeps them from being cold. I plan on still including modern pieces, but I'm mixing it up with some unique Indonesian finds from my favorite importers here in Miami which allows them to do the "traveling" for me and gives me the opportunity to pull in those one of a kind elements. The overall feeling in this home will be quite global indeed.

Here are some images to give you a feel for this global approach, or at least how I am interpreting that global approach in to my scheme. 










One thing that I think is very notable with these images is the sense of timelessness to the rooms. They could be taken today or 10 years ago and one wouldn't notice. There is something profound to using ancient and antique pieces in today's rooms with the suggestion of bringing something old to new again which is key to good design.

I look forward to sharing my mood boards with you soon, but if you want to see what pieces I've been sourcing so far for this project feel free to check out my Open Concept board on Pinterest.

2 comments:

  1. Great picture of the house. Or should I say, the house is beautiful itself. Thank you for sharing. I loved it.

    Regards,
    Finn Felton
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Finn,

    thanks for checking back in. It's finally starting to come together which is a great feeling!!!

    Check back in for more updates.

    XOXO,
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete