Monday, February 4, 2013

Would You Do Bold Pattern?

Good morning!

This past week I had the fantastic opportunity to spend a few days in Atlanta to attend Design Camp in Atlanta, GA. In case you haven't heard about Design Camp yet, it is a great opportunity to meet and greet top professionals, experts and interior designers, and gain invaluable advice as well as information about what's coming next in interior design. The event is hosted by celebrity designers Lorri Dennis and Kelly Ellis who make you feel like an old friend. I had a blast, and am thankful for the opportunity to have met so many wonderful people. I plan to share some of the love with you readers as we go along.

Today I am talking about pattern. I am admittedly a sucker for monochromatic rooms, which is made pretty clear throughout my designs. It is in fact a bit of a push for me to go over the top with color. Something that we will start seeing more of  in coming design trends is pattern play in rooms. These rooms expertly mix funky prints with colors and textures giving you a visually interesting room. It is a bit of a throw back vibe and an ode to the days of Warhol and all things psychedelic, and when done right these rooms are so inspirational that even a girl like me can't help but to love them. 

To do pattern play well, I suggest having something that can ground your different colors and prints such as a pillow, rug or chair and it is nice to thrown in a few neutrals just so that things don't get too out of hand. Here is a board I created to show you how you can bring pattern in to your own spaces.




Notice how with a few varying prints and colors that play off each other this room works? I could see this working with even see more pattern through a wall paper, more pillows and window treatments, but regardless it's an idea that I'm loving. 


Here are some other examples of pattern play in decor. 








This trend also translates well in to fashion as seen in this outfit by Olivia Palermo with these the floral pants and contrasting animal printed heels. Though these two couldn't be more different, they work flawlessly together.



 


For me this style is a definite must and I'm sure you will see some of this coming in to my spaces. 

What do you think? Are you liking the mixed patterns at play in this funky style, or do you prefer calm monochromatic spaces?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment